Saturday 5 May 2007

NO PICTURES 6 SINGLES REVIEWS

SINGLES REVIEWS, EPs TOO! and Demos also


Sonic Youth - Anagrama (SYR)
Weird experimentation from you know who. Of course it borders equally on brillance as well as on cack. The whole thing feels very unbalanced. Of the four tracks Mieux: De Corrosion fills my cup, just for screwing with my head. Close your eyes and shapes will appear, by the end your head will resemble Robby The Robot's.

Guided By Voices - I Am A Tree (Matador)
Guided By Voices - are they or aren't they? What I'm trying to get at is are they really as good as people claim or are they respected from just doing it and persisting. They are more than loveable for being what they are: a band that records and releases records at/for their pleasure. That said this is by far the best GBV song I have ever heard, which is far from all of them, and it isn't composed by Mr Pollard or Mr Sprout. So is that the key? Is this a one off? This reminds me of the first time I heard the Foo Fighters.

Dawn Of The Replicants - Violent Sundays EP (EastWest)
Its Cocaine On The Catwalk once more, now re-recorded, repackaged and mass produced. I don't like this version as much as the original on the So Far So Spitfire EP, is it me or does it the guitar part now resemble Rock N Roll Star by Oasis? No matter. The other tracks are renamed from the tape Roger did me, the best of which is the fucked up doo wop of Only Small Birds Do. I'm sure Frank Booth would love that one. Baby wants fuck.

The Male Nurse - Magic Circle In The Sky (Guided Missile)
Magic Circle is the first Male Nurse song I think I don't like. I'm unconcerned however because the b-side, What Does Woman Want, is them doing what they do best, being obnoxious, catchy, confused and bitter. Creepy cover. This band is on the right route to go all the way. So long as paths aren't crossed with Mark E. Smith first.

The Delgados/New Bad Things - split single (Lissy's)
It worries me that even though that I think the Delgados track is brilliant, it also really reminds me of Tiger. Yowsa. The New Bad Things are also top dog. Think Sebadoh giving whistles mid song. Think the Delgados relaxed and playful. A band who made Frankie's Relax sound cool! (on a very good Peel session). Accomplishment.

Bette Davis And The Balconettes - Paul Power T-Shirt (Baby Boom)
I like stream train tracks that start as they mean to go on. Raging, bouncy and about Man City, Paul Power T-Shirt is a brief construction site of a song. Shopping On The Internet is the bee's bollox also, with vocal distaste of Mountain Bike Bandits and loud, sharp swearing. More punk than a very punk thing.

70 Gwen Party - The Killing Of Victorian Britain EP (Snape Records)
I really need more records in my collection like this. Intelligent music with a message without cheesy sentiments or delivery but still with a feel of distortion and wholesome origins and production. The title track features a reading of a Seigreid Sassoon war poem over a soundscape to make you hover.

Waddle/Egg - split single (Noisebox)
Waddle and Egg have changed big time. The last time I heard Waddle they had borrowed a portion of Scentless Apprentice and constructed a noisefest from it. And Egg prevoiusly reminded me of Fudge Tunnel grinding. Today they might as well be the same band. The same bad band with cod rock songs.

Various - 4-Way-Tie-Up (Household Name)
4 bands, 7 songs, this is an important release for the current UK hardcore scene. Thats hardcore in the NY sense so whether you'll like this or not is down to whether you like Biohazard or not. Personally I do. Public Disturbance open by sounding like Biohazard with Max Cavalera like vocals and a phenomonal drummer. F.L.S. come next and they're easily my favourite band here. They have an amazing singer with excellent delivery of rap without cheese reminding me of early Pro Pain. Freebase use chant vocals and resemble a speedier Machine Head on their second song. Lockdown close the single. They have an excellent grind guitar sound without going totally grind, together with more rap without cheese. Another single on shit Czech vinyl.

Feline - Just As You Are (Chryslis)
I like these for a number of reasons but most of all to spite my friends. However to be honest their music qualifications are at best dubious. This is from another yet to be named, by Kerrang, female rock genre featuring amongst others Tampasm. It certainly rocks.

The Male Nurse - G.D.R. (Guided Missile)
G.D.R. is lurching, hangs and is Fall like. I'm A Man is shorter, snappier, catchier and is Fall like. They have (an) attitude so watch out.

Various - Franticsemantics Extended Player (Hummy & Joey)
I wonder what alternative bands think of mainstream comparisons? The Screech Owls make me consider this because their track here, Poison River, really reminds me of one of those dreamy Cowboy Junkies songs you get lost in. Lovely. I also have a lot of time for the Machismo's. My Narghile was a belter of a single but their song here, Loosen Up, is equally loveable but from a different continent. Imagine the Folk Implosion on the wrong speed sounding even slower. Arab Strap contribute Not Quite A Yes which is an under the duvet Strap tune with a lullaby track tacked on. Its Baby Strap. Amp close things by starting off sounding as if they have got A2 D2 on guest vocals. As usual Amp come up with a soundtrack to carry you through the day.

Helen Love - Does Your Heart Go Boom (Che)
Namechecks a-go-go here. I actually have plenty of time for Helen Love and can't understand why my Bis loving friends actually hate them. Their references here show they still know where it's at even if they aren't quite there. And I'm more than happy to report that their love for the Ramones is still as strong as it ever was.

Rollins Band - The End Of Something (Dreamworks)
This release has eased a few doubts that I was beginning to have about them. The main track is not the full on shouty stuff I'd like but its edging on funky and threatening. More pleasing though are the other tracks. The Ben Grosse remix actually seems to work but Also Ran is one of those ferious tracks that used to be the Rollins formula song type. Alternatively Threshold is a 9 minute run out which sees the band veering in the direction of Mogwai type stuff.

China Drum - Fiction Of Life (Mantra)
China Drum have never sounded more like Husker Du, but they have never sounded better in my opinion. I don't quite know where China Drum fit in on the food chain but I'm sure its lower than they deserve to be.

Kidnapper - Is It A Girl (Fierce Panda)
I actually read a review of this in Melody Maker that was spot on which stated sounds like Sleeper on the a-side and Echobelly on the b-side. However I was sure when I heard them on Peel they were cool. On my record player though not!

Cuff - To Myself (Club Spangle)
I saw these on MTV the other during primetime with a live track, not video, recorded specially in their studios. Thats quite a feat, they must have good connections. I think they'll fit right in with the other Top 40 "indie" bands

John Shuttleworth - Y Reg
This has been re-released to tie in with his TV show 500 Bus Stops. The great thing about John Shuttleworth is that he's a goober. He's your dad, your grandad and your uncle pretending to be a popstar like Kajagoogoo.

Prolapse - Killing The Bland
I remember this from when I saw them live. Frenetic and filling, with great lines like "I might have to kill you, what wouldn't be fair.....on me!", it juggernauts all the way until the nights over. Move To Limit Slabs is a rich luxury also. Although not new I'd forgotten just how cool this song was.

Foo Fighters - Everlong (Capitol)
This is the breezy Foo Fighters we loved when they first came for dinner. If I still believed in the Foo Fighters I'd have been disappointed by this but now sadly though I think I'm losing interest. Cool MTV thing though.

Faith No More - Last Cup Of Sorrow (London)
I got this in Andys Records. You should see the fucking state of the case they gave me, fucking hell. I hate Andys Records. It was voted top independent store by some jerks but they're as independent as my arse is from my body. Their prices mirror those of the other shitty chains I hate and I look forward to them buying old Andrews out when they force them into liquidation. Oh yeah, FNM still have it.

Tucker Jenkins - demo
Flippin 'eck Tucker they sound like a funny voice punk band. From near abouts Colchester, they remind me of the Buzzcocks and/or Green Day slowed down. If thats your thang get in touch with them and say Gringo sent you. I'm worried that out there somebody reading this does not know who Tucker Jenkins is.

The Hitchers - You Can Only Love Someone (Murgatroid)
The Hitchers remind me about everything wonderful about speedy indie rock. I guess they're tame but so is my favourite dog. On the other side is Strachan. In a world of a million footie songs that suck this brushes away anything those nasty, greedy top clubs could buy and is actually really exciting. Someone once said "you can't like football and music" but in a world of a million pieces of evidence to support that statment here is the alternative exception. A treasure.

Teenage Fanclub - Ain't That Enough (Creation)
Its time to put my hands up and admit Teenage Fanclub have gone too far. I find the Ocean Colour Scene comparisons laughable and they always make me leap to their defense but good grief......this is not the band that jammed out The King or had Brendan in.

Girlfriendo - Girlfriendo Anthem (WYAIWIA)
Silly pop from Swedan mit fantastic lyrics especially on Wee Wee Song. How I have often considered taking a piss on the floor at a gig.

Ghostface Killah
Shit.

Super Furry Animals (Creation)
Welsh

John Lydon - Sun (Virgin)
Nothing close to open up. Little Johnny Rotten playing with fairies music.

Morrisey - Alma Matters
At this stage Morrisey is not going to gain any new friends or fans is he. I still question my inclusion of this review. Its a single thats now long gone from the charts so whos interested?

No comments: