Saturday 5 May 2007

NO PICTURES 7 ALBUM REVIEWS

RECORD REVIEWS, EVERYBODY


Macrocosmica - Ad Astra (God Bless)
Brendan's back. Brendan never went away. It all begins with big fat hooks and a wicked guitar sound that carries through the majority of the 7 songs. Opener Rusty's Arms comes complete with noodles followed by Orbit 48, which is jaunty with fantastically catchy vocals from you know who. I Am The Spaceship Digitalis is stinkin' slow and so is Byne. Lamotta though is probably the highlight. The other day it became stuck in my head and I was racking my brains trying to think which Sonic Youth song I had in my head. A Horse Can Walk sounds equally accomplished and recognisable. Other comparisons are difficult. Its disappointing to see everyone tying this in as a Mogwai offshoot (yes I know Young Team is reviewed below but its not purposely juxtaposed there). The two bands are too different to place together. Macrocosmica are without doubt worthy of checking out for straightforward/ahead alternative rock that (perhaps misleadingly) sounds fresh, isn't afraid to have loud guitars and sounds as if it would give certain whiney, pretentious tossers a kickin'.

Mogwai - Young Team (Chemikal Underground)
Although not immediately stunned this is, however, a stunning grower. Unaware of what to expect, initially I approached it with some skepticism. So I cranked it with no concern and Like Herod was first to move me. I love the way it builds into the loudest thing alive that they then try to pull back and restrain. R U Still In 2 It features Aiden and is rather like Now You're Taken (as featured elsewhere). If you liked that, you should dig this. I actually do like With Portfolio, Brendan's song, which sounds like your stereo is spinning and your room with it. The epic Mogwai Fear Satan closes the show, it blasts, bangs and makes you cry. I'm limited in space here because I've harped on about lesser albums. Chances are you've probably got this. If not you've already missed out on so much, this year Mogwai might save us from bands with quiet guitars. A band that out excites its genre. Young Teams can be nice sometimes.

Aerial M - Aerial M (Domino)
Aerial M contains Dave Pajo. Dave Pajo used to be in Slint. Aerial M is nothing like Slint, but it has never really pretended to be. Guess what everybody, I am the worlds worst person to comment on post rock. I want to like it more than I actually do. This is music to tranc to, to lose yourself in. Its the sound of being on your own, at night, typing out a shitty fanzine at past midnight. A lack of atmospherics and samples means it mostly relies on the soul of instruments and this makes it very minimal and also at times limited. And Compassion For M sounds like Metal Dan searching for satanic messages in a song. Play it at Granma's funeral.

Ramones - We're Outta Here (Eagle)
The Ramones were the Wu Tang Clan of their day. This is the album of their last ever gig, show #2263 and despite the grind having obviously taken its toll, this is fanfuckingtastic. At times Joey does sound like he's singing in the style of a club singer but so what. The 32 song set features members of Rancid, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam but you can't tell. It seems that on this night the brudders took a while to get warmed up but by the finish, punking rarely manages to get this good, past or present. Jason's Diets: this week my favourite Ramones songs are Wart Hog and Commando.

Helium - The Magic City (Matador)
I honestly believe that in America magical places like Wellsville exist and that is where bands like Helium originate from. Seeming to have a Camelot obsession, or just maybe a big interest, this has the feel of US underground experimenting. I'm relieved I am not the only person to have found it at times indulgent but that said there are plenty of good times and despite Kim Deal-a-like vocal accusations, I really like Mary's voice, amongst other things.

Various - What's Up Matador (Matador)
Apparantly this is the soundtrack to a film, answering that very question. This double CD comp is split between a disc of favourites and a disc of unreleased. The favourites have, for me, the best moments (to date) from/of Pizzicato Five, Helium, Cat Power, Liz Phair and Railroad Jerk in addition to Dang by the Blues Explosion and stuff by Unsane, Yo La Tengo (Tom Courtney!), The Fall, Superchunk etc. The unreleased stuff isn't so hot snot but by then you've long had your monies worth. It does have a For Carnation track, Pavement covering the Bunnymen and JSBX performing Dig My Shit! (perhaps a tribute to the band of the same name?).

Windsor For The Derby - Minnie Greutzfeldt (Trance Syndicate)
I think a good way to review records would be to say which film they would best suit the soundtrack to. This reminds me of the background music that goes with Repo Man. Not the punk stuff but the lone guitar being struck in the far distance as cars crash and people get shot left, right and centre. Haunting and mind blowing, I first played this on the morning of a very important exam and I suffered some sort of minor breakdown as a result of listening to it. This works because of the atmosphere it enduces. Bad mood music for losers.

Various - Camp Skingraft (!) (Skingraft)
Loadsa years ago Charles Manson went potty in the desert from listening to Helter Skelter by the Beatles (although there a dozens more horrific versions of that tune around). He subsequently talked a bunch of gullible kids into going on a killing spree for him (some sort of favour I think). All from just listening to a pop song. Now had Charlie gone to the desert with this record he'd probably be straddlin' a nuke bomb like Slim Pickens in Dr Strangelove. Whatever, this is one twisted sounding collection (33 tracks!) of the best sounds going, conveniently under the banner of Now Wave (a term less ironic than it seems). The Flying Luttenbachers, Lake Of Dracula and Yona-Kit are the first to snap the twig. It contains an ingredient seriously lacking from modern music: danger. Following along come Melt Banana who chip in 11 seconds of goo. Shorty are the next to hand in something fucking evil sounding. Bobby Conn pops up towards the end. His crooning (in Francais) does not seem to fit in but the man(iac) does. And being a twat who enjoys novelty, I love F'stein's toy advert for Mighty Fuckin' Robots. Run to Toys R Us and insist on them immediately! We need Now Wave and a trip this summer to Camp Skingraft instead of fat camp or Kamp Krusty.

Bill Ding - The Horrendously Named EP (Smilex)
Herein lies more crackles, more whispery vocals, some subtle guitar riffs and a constructive bass sound. Beck like and beautiful, before it got ugly. Acoustic guitars, strings and any other weird noise they can make pop in whenever the opportunity arises. Bill Ding best suits when you feel like taking it easy. Of the seven tracks here, Thirteen is the pick.

Special Duties - 77 In 97 (Captain Oi)
Punk rock from Colchester! I thought this was to be an album of demos but it actually is a fully blown out album with said demos stuck on the end, 12 new tracks and 6 demos. The album is chock full with a classic punk guitar sound. Who The Hell Is Buying That Crap stands out most of all initially, with its sentiments towards all music that we hate. The tribute to the Ramones, Adios Amigos is superfucking fun whilst previous single Mutt is tuneful powerpop punk. Judge And Jury is singalonga and It's Saturday is a weekend anthem. There are also covers of Lurkers and Dils songs. And they pop in and do a Ska song to piss me off. Of the demo tracks the Buzzcockian I Think Of You is the best. Its interesting to compare the old and new. The sound has improved (obviously) but the ferosity remains. Prior to Blur, this was the only band to come from Colchester and do anything. And still is.

Shirehorses - The Worst Album In The World Ever....Ever (some shitty major label)
I don't know about you but I sorely miss Mark and Lard at night. I feel I'm missing out on a whole bunch of cool new stuff that he'd have played but Marianne Hobnobb won't because she'd rather put on some fake arse major label indie pop or some (the latest!) dance shit. Here I love the Charlatans and Seahorses rip-offs so much perhaps maybe I actually subconsciously love the original drivel. Frank Spencer Blues Explosion is seriously good as the song and sound is fucked. You could play the track to someone pretend its something fresh from a DIY label (or something). And I fucking dare you to keep a straight face when Radcliffe sings "sends a message to your arse" on the Kula Shaker thing. Shame they bleeped the fucks though man.

The Mark Radcliffe Show (BBC)
I thought it would be a really good to release an hour of Mark and Lard's comedy moments long before they actually did it. Unfortunately taken out of context, their skits do sound too hot and aren't much cop stand alone. Still, theres thrills from Shit Agent and the nostalgic Pathelogical News. For the record one of my favourite moments on the show was when Lard reviewed Holiday On The Buses for the Cult Film Corner. Anyone got it on tape?

Sleater Kinney - Dig Me Out (Matador/Kill Rock Stars)
Another record I didn't get at first, probably because I listened to and believed the uber hype. With increased listens its the energy that stands out most of all on this record. And the guitar sound isn't bad either. I have to admit to being dubious for longer than I should have been here. I was fearing an Alanis in wolf's clothing but It's Enough and storming opener Dig Me Out ease private tensions. At the end of the day its the shrieking vocals that I have a problem with and doubt however there is more than enough to compensate for them. And the repeated plays of Little Babies really broke me.

Superchunk - Indoor Living (City Slang)
Its good to see Superchunk back. This time again they've swallowed the catchy pill and beefed up their guitar sound, without compromising or changing their distinct vocal style(s). Unfortunately with the harder sound it has also become at times a tad plodding and the spark that once briefly made Foolish one of my favourite albums ever has gone. And that includes many of the elements that used to make me think of Eska.

The Fall - Levitate (Artful)
When I grow up I want to be Mark E. Smith. This is a better Electronia (arf arf) than the Prodigy one. I'm A Mummy is pop perfect. Jungle Rock is bass driven perfection. And theres a Git Surfers rip off in there somewhere. Fun for all the family.

Prolapse - The Italian Flag (Radar)
This record has the best two opening tracks this year. Slash/Oblique features Linda and Mick singing in tongues and Deanshanger has Mick pronouncing the eighites to be crap, which they were. Unfortunately it doesn't keep it up 100% the way through as it occasionaly meanders and doesn't touch them live, however it is music you can get lost in. Scotch Mick said some of it is unlistenable at times and boy do I agree with him.

No Wings, Fins Or Fuselage - No Wings, Fins Or Fuselage (Seriously Groovy)
I was sent a mystery tape of these probably because their label just plucked my zine out of the air. On a shitty, pissy Saturday afternoon I put the tape on and it sounded like a whole bunch of my favourite bands. It recalls a mix of Super Furries, Pavement, Pixies, Man Or Astroman? and although at times it may seem to lack originality, its damn fun. I'm Going Out Of My Way is the best of the 18 tracks.

Various - Vibrations From The Edge Of Sanity (Vibrations...)
This comes with the publication of the same name (reviewed elsewhere). Heather Nova, Machismo's and Barefoot Contessa are the best known acts present in addition to the still excellent and exciting Trip To Arndale by Gravel. Dunderhead begin like David Holmes but unfortunately collapses when stupid vocals come in. And Plastic Hip actually are good, being like Beck and all. Sort of. VFM.

Various - Collision Damage Waiver (Rebellious Jukebox)
This opens with Cacophony No. A by Prolapse. Elsewhere there is Buzzbomb (cool bass intro turns into punk punk), My Wife Jan (a crappy recorded, hungry sounding punk type) and Ambulance (remind us of Linoleum). This comes with Totally Wired so VFM auch.

Hole - My Body The Hand Grenade (City Slang)
Live Through This was a bit soft for me. And this is a bit rough. Hole is Courtney and vice versa. And that's a good thing. No one shrieks like her and no one shares her ability to piss people off. The band sound limited much of the time on this record, occasionally sounding carbon copy Black Sabbath. Good cover though. Better than MTV.

The Charlatans - Melting Pot (Beggars Banquet)
My first Beggars Banquet promo. Its a "best" of comp. I do have a Charlatans album on tape somewhere which I quite like but never play. This is chronological so it starts with The Only One I Know, which is actually a very good song. Unfortunately there are 16 more tracks. I managed to get through another five of 'em. On the whole though the Charlatans are not likeable due to keeping dubious contacts.

Simpsons - Songs In The Key Of Springfield (Rhino)
This is a joy. I can probably still ingest Simpsons Sing The Blues but the cheesy as chedder Bartman songs will make anyone ashamed. This is far better. Comprising of musical moments taken from the show itself hearing Troy McClure doing his bit to Planet Of The Apes The Musical is grand and the Beat poetry of Play It Cool, featuring Homer and his dad, is cool daddy. Krusty's on it too with Send In The Clowns. Unfortunately fucking Michael Jackson's on it but the Sonic Youth version of the end credits isn't. Go figure.

Atari Teenage Riot - The Future Is War (Digital Hardcore Recordings)
After a fruitless morning wandering around Colchester for anything Atari I went round my friend Steve's who had this. Another one that's been out a while, I'm currently into this big style. This is the future. The heaviest rock can't hold a candle to this. Fuck All! says it all and Destroy 2000

Penthouse - Gutter Erotica (World Domination)
Filthy, filthy album. Jobs a good 'un. Well done.

Prodigy - Fat Of The Land (XL)
Er, bet you didn't know this was out. Anyway bugger it they're next to local boys so it justifies a review on that level. And I did use an anarchist purchase method by getting it exactly two months to the day of release. Or maybe I was just waiting for Gizz Butt to send me one. The album is just as I expected. Standard Prodg tunes with the killer singles and other occassional highlights. Jilted Generation in my opinion was overrated and I like this better because I like metal!

The Pixies - Death To The Pixies (4AD)
There is no denying this is great. I'm ashamed to admit how the Pixies have managed to elude me for so long. Perversely I own a Breeders record and a Frank Black one. The live disc is the reason for the purchase


Jason Graham (taken from No Pictures 7)

No comments: