Saturday 4 August 2007

KATE NASH – FOUNDATIONS (FICTION)


KATE NASH – FOUNDATIONS (FICTION)

Using her subtle cockney/mockney accent to full use and singing in the manner that Lily Allen talks; for a long time now Kate Nash has been promising much and charming many with her smart and sensitive lyrical observations all packaged in her pretty girl next door ensemble of dark brown eyes, big hair and awkwardness. I have to admit the package reminds me of heyday Tracey Ullman.

A song that definitely improves with additional listens, with “Foundations” somehow she crowbars the longest hook into a chorus for a very long time as the song clearly dissects a rather spiky relationship with a manner that is truly admirable. I almost feel I know this girl because I dislike her smart arse attitude.

Many years ago I was trawling my arse around town, going out with a girl who was wilfully stringing me along as I picked up every bill to every restaurant and often found myself smothering her with gifts and unrequited love. Had I had this record around those naïve times, perhaps I would have spotted certain signals, signs and trends sooner. Instead as every other meeting descended into arguments and battles that I would win, eventually losing the war I found myself uttering the legendary words “I like it when I make you cry” to her just because I thought it showed she cared. In fact it was actually her playing me like a fiddle. And how do I know this? Kate Nash just wrote the lyrics “but it gives me thrills to wind you up.”

And this is the real reason for the Parental Advisory Sticker.

The fact that this record has reached number two in the charts really signifies changing times, either demonstrating how cheapened the single format has become or actually how a whole new era and range of talented musicians are now likely to benefit. As to which reality this record actually represents remains open to debate but with consideration for the latter possibility, this amazing record certain represents that train of thought.

On this occasion the single is backed with “Navy Taxi”, a less bolshy song devoid of the front of “Foundations.” Still it remains introspective with its narration and is something of a display of the remorseful side little Ms Nash, piano led and sweet. You could almost forgive her arrogance of the a-side.

Thesaurus moment: aplomb.

Kate Nash
Fiction

No comments: