Tuesday 12 January 2010

THE CRIBS – IGNORE THE IGNORANT (WICHITA RECORDINGS)


THE CRIBS – IGNORE THE IGNORANT (WICHITA RECORDINGS)

Recently I received a spam email from the Mean Fiddler Group updating me of how many more copies The Cribs were selling of their fourth album than the near 50 year old Beatles reissue albums.  Way to beat up your rich grandparents!  However I’ll let that one slide.

Instead I found myself drawn to the quote/comment at the bottom from “Johnny Marr, fourth member of The Cribs.”  Yes, that Johnny Marr the guy that had the whole music world by the balls with The Smiths and then gave it away as, barring a few decent New Order-esqe songs with Electronic, he has done absolutely nothing with his career since.  You may say “what about Modest Mouse?” and I may say “yeah rat fans.”

The incriminating quote reads as: “The Cribs possess the brains of The Buzzcocks, the guts of Nirvana, the fizz of the Ramones.”  Firstly it is quite poor form to describe your band’s album in the third person, as if you are reviewing it for the Observer Music Monthly or something.  Worst however is the actual bands he is choosing to compare The Cribs to and against.  Johnny, we have heard the record you know.

Ultimately the sad reality is that the only times this band nudges my interest are the times that they are sounding like S*M*A*S*H so in essence what we kind of possess here is some kind of throwback to the NWONW scene it would seem.  I bet you had long since thought you would never be seeing that term again.

This is the kind of Brit indie that Americans fucking love.

This band stinks.  It has no fangs, no claws, it sounds like Shed Seven.  I don’t get the point or their intended purpose.  The look doesn’t reconcile with the sound but looking at the bowl haircuts that it possibly a good thing.

Making a genuine attempt to find something I like I must concede I do think the song title “We Were Aborted” is funny.  The initial feedback and slow gestures in “City Of Bugs” is dense but this soon passes.  “Emasculate Me” has a beat and “Nothing” has a riff but neither of these bases get built on.  “We Share The Same Skies” sounds like the Lightning Seeds and “Ignore The Ignorant” stabs at The Smiths.  However at the end of it these parts do not make a sufficient sum.

Imagine Art Brut devoid of humour and original ideas papering over the cracks with stupid Johnny Ramone haircuts that actually just make them look like redundant monks.  Its not a good thing.

I once saw Ryan Jarman on the tube.  I didn’t like it.

At the end of the day I only bought this album because it was the limited The Roses Edition version box set exclusively for Yorkshire, Lancashire and Portland, Oregon selling in Fopp for £5 offering the bonus of a live album (Live from The Ritz in Manchester) and DVD (a Making Of documentary).  Despite the intended geography I bought it in Bloomsbury, London.  Quite frankly this music couldn’t be more discounted.

I guess I’m the ignorant.

Thesaurus moment: what.

No comments: