Thursday 20 May 2010

FAITH NO MORE – I’M EASY/BE AGGRESSIVE (SLASH)


FAITH NO MORE – I’M EASY/BE AGGRESSIVE (SLASH)

This single arrived at a confused point in proceedings.  January 1993 turned out to be one of the more eventful months of my life.  After enjoying a grunge related Christmas when so many gifts were alt rock related stepping into the new year I found myself on work experience from school at Dixon Electronics in Clacton-on-Sea.  This was not rock, this was not what I was destined to do with my life.  This was not what my walkman was soundtracking.

As confusion rained suddenly one of my favourite bands released a weird cover version that saw it shifting units and finding success in the charts.  I knew the song “(I’m) Easy” by Lionel Richie and wasn’t exactly a fan but by fuck did Faith No More change that opinion.  Then again this was never a band shy of doing a cover version and making it their own.  Still, we were loyal to the brand and happy to indulge.  It is interesting to note how the artwork refers to the song as “I’m Easy” and being written by “Lionel Ritchie” offering a distinct air of something being quickly cobbled together.

More than anything else this track always demonstrated the diversity and musical prowess of the act.  It was a track that Mike Patton easily stretched his voice around as Roddy Bottum carried the music with his keyboard while you imagined Jim Martin chomping at the bit to attack the guitar solo towards the end.  With Martin now on his way out of the band you can’t help but wonder whether the Patton address of “ewww” that leads to the solo is directed at Big Jim.

To me it still sounds weird.  It is polished and quite frankly I find it ridiculous how it is stuck on the end of Angel Dust.  Basically it’s a decent but I really need to be in the mood for it and am most likely to switch off the album after “Midnight Cowboy”.

Keeping with the band’s usual direction and seemingly a gesture to keep the faithful happy, the second a-side is the playful “Be Aggressive”, a song about being vocal during sex (thus the declaration in rant “I swallow, I swallow”) while containing a weird chorus sample of kids spelling out the song title in a seedy cheerleader cum cheesy Sesame Street style.  Its all very sport fucking and unsurprisingly aggressive.  Up until that point it is a healthy pummel of a song but that element just kills.  This would not have been my immediate choice for a single.

Moving on the b-sides are live recordings of “A Small Victory” and “We Care A Lot” from Munich on the 9th November 1992, the first of which is playful and heavy while the second is somewhat subject to a re-model.  It ain’t Patton’s song, he don’t care what it sounds like as he briefly bastardises it with a call to “Jump Around”.

The gentle art of making an audience.

Thesaurus moment: tender.

No comments: