Sunday 14 November 2010

BRAID – I’M AFRAID OF EVERYTHING (POLYVINYL)


BRAID – I’M AFRAID OF EVERYTHING (POLYVINYL)

I used to know a fat girl from Manchester who was obsessed with this band, she bordered on wanting to have the lead singer’s babies.  Later she would jump a member of a different band from Nottingham and cause concern of unleashing an STD in Leicester.  Rumour was that the sleeping bag that they shared had to be burned (had to be destroyed).  She then got a job in a bank, lost the weight and reeled out a pretty decent and impressive set of Facebook photos.  In other words she grew up and left childish things such as Braid behind.

Braid were emo before emo turned silly, went goth and got silly haircuts.  That said beneath the exterior it would seem attitudes were much the same.  Don’t cry.

“I’m Afraid Of Everything” is a terrible song title and sentiment to unleash on the world.  And then the fuckers place the song in the middle of a three song release.  It’s the meat in an emo burger.  Not to worry though as to large extent all three songs on this release sound the same.

So why am I giving this release such a hard time?  I guess for me it just represents a really bad time in my music education, a moment when people were insistent that this was some kind of pinnacle and peak in playing.

I whine but I’m not proud of it.  I don’t record music about it.  Occasionally I’ll write about it but the key element is that I will sprinkle it with a heavy dose of humour whereas this kind of earnest display of emotion seems to lack such abandon and humility.

Poor old Braid, it’s not their fault.

Thesaurus moment: wet.

No comments: